Tuesday, June 3, 2008

15 Years Ago Today

I just wanted to take a minute and let everyone know how grateful I am to be alive and be blessed with all of the many wonderful things I am blessed with on a daily basis. Exactly 15 years ago today, marks the first day I was diagnosed with diabetes. It was the night before graduation when I went into a coma and I would have to say that I think I do a mighty fine job at taking care of myself. Besides this stupid weight I can't get off!

Most of you know that I have been on an insulin pump now for about 10 years which has drastically changed my life. Before the pump I was doing at least 3 shots a day and I was to the point where I would just dread breakfast, lunch or dinner because it meant not only poking me to find out what my blood sugar was, but also to give me a shot of insulin so I could eat. And as most of you know I am still to this day terrified of needles! The pump has been so great for me. It is an IV that I only have to replace about once every 3 days which beats shots 3 times a day. It was hard to get used to wearing the pump 24/7, but now I can't imagine not having it. Technology has come so far just in the past 15 years. I truly don't believe I will see a cure in my lifetime, but I think they have made great strides in diabetes, and I hope they continue to do so because that just buys me more time with my little Gracie and cute family and dogs. I used to always take for granted so many things like just waking up, going to the cupboard and getting my cereal and eating it. Now I do that, but not before I take 1000 pills, check my blood and give me insulin. I miss the days of not having to be on so much medication, but I wouldn't be here without it.

Some days are harder than others with diabetes, but overall....I think things are going to be just fine! I hope all is well with everyone! Keep smiling and know you are loved!

Oh, and...my cute, cute friend Michelle stopped by tonight for a suprise visit with her cute hubby Troy and the boys. She looked fabulous and it was so great seeing her, even though the house was a mess and I look like death warmed over, lol. Thanks for stopping by Michelle! We love you!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

We love you too Lisa, and are so glad that you are still here, and doing as well as you are with your diabetes.

Michelle & Troy Satterthwaite said...

I can't believe that it's been 15 years, you are amazing! We are blessed every day to have you as our friend and to be such a huge part of our family! I am glad that we stopped last night. Hunter has talked nonstop about it! You look fabulous and need to give yourself more credit. Gracie is getting so big, she is adorable. We will definately do stop by more often! Know that you are loved!

Unknown said...

I will never forget talking to you while in that coma. Its a blessing to have you still.

Laura Stephens said...

Wow - I can't believe it's been 10 years since you got that pump! I think that was when you were in Central Services, and I was an operator (oh, the good old days!). Maybe you'd had it for a while, but it seems like I was there when you first got it.

I never will forget how Alice had brought in some kind of dessert, and you said "Now I can eat this crap! Oh, I'm sorry, this DELICIOUS crap!" I laugh everytime I think about that! :)

Doesn't 10 years go by so fast? I am so glad that you're here with us!

Megan said...

My sister has an insulin pump as well and she loves it! Miles likes to play with it when she comes over...he loves electronics! I'm so grateful that research is being done that will hopefully make life easier for those with diabetes.